Monday, December 17, 2007

IS SEX ENOUGH?

Its 7am on a Monday morning, as I sit to look at my ‘to do’ list I can’t but pray fervently for the holidays to come. I look forward to those quiet mornings when I don’t have o set my alarm to 5am or rush out to face the hectic Lagos traffic. Enough of the self pity and let’s move on to today’s biz. By the way, hope you all are doing great and had a great weekend cos I sure did.

I want to thank all of you that took your time to read thru the last post and your honest opinions and comments.

You can call this a continuation of the last post,

I want to set the record right by stating that SEX is NOT always enough to make a good relationship. My last post was just to place emphasis on the importance of a good sex in a relationship and not to lead people to believe that just sex or good sex guarantees a good relationship. From the comments I got on that post, I think I may have mislead some of you to believe that sex is the only thing that keeps a relationship going.

I want to define sex and good relationship for the purpose of this post.

SEX: this is the act of love making between two people that are in love or feels something other than lust for each other.

GOOD RELATIONSHIP: this is the relationship between two adults that have marriage on their mind though they may not have proposed yet.

Now, I need you all to understand that at all times, the relationship I refer to is as defined above.
I am an African and as such place much importance on marriage. This is not to say that marriage must become a do or die affair, but marriage should be grabbed when it’s within our reach. We all know that these days, its hard to find somebody we can love and who will also bw willing to reciprocate our love, in other words, it’s hard to build a good relationship and remain in such relationship till it reaches its expected end which in this case is marriage or something close to it. Make no mistakes, I am aware that not all relationships leads to marriage, but please have it at the back of your mind that at all time, I Ms. Emotions believes that ‘this’ relationship should lead to marriage (grins) but don’t kill yourself if it dose not, just move on.

i really don’t know why sometimes, I have this weird idea that having sex is different from love making in a relationship. Just like “@ fantasy queen” had said in her comment on the last post, make up sex can be great yet the relationship it self is rotten. It’s in this kind of scenarios that I find myself believing that you don’t have sex in a good relationship, what you do or have is make love or love making.

Great sex is not enough to keep a relationship neither is it enough to make a relationship great. It is assumed that people get into relationships with some level of love or feelings no matter how small for each other. Based on this, it is expected that this couple do not engage in just sex, they make love, and you all will agree with me that love making has this binding force that tends to bring couples closer. Of course people have sex without necessarily having any emotional attachment to their partner, this is why I had gone ahead to define sex and relationship for the purpose of this post. Love making has powers of its own, it has this force that makes you to either re appraise that relationship or define it, it even makes you try analyzing your relationship.

Like I mention in my last post, Nigerian women find it difficult to enjoy love making, they almost do not take active part in the love making, I can imagine why a woman can be creative and take the lead in love making. I have this guy friend that is almost 35 years yet single, each time I bring up the issue of him not having a steady girlfriend let alone married, out of the blues, a naughty grin appears on his handsome face as he speaks of his many experience with our Nigerian women, “don’t mind these girls that can’t afford to be themselves, imagine you meet a girl, make your intentions for a steady relationship known and when you get down to making love she turns into an ice maiden. Look, I have had to try on several occasions to see if this will change rather it gets worst, and you know me now, how am I supposed to be in a relationship wit a girl I might end up marrying and always go out for sexual fulfillment? ‘’

This is what my friend keeps saying each time the issue of him being single comes up. This has made me understand why most relationship becomes stagnant. When a man can not derive pleasure with his spouse, he either moves on or remains while searching for a replacement and when this happens we say we say ‘he broke my heart’.

Sex alone is not enough to keep a relationship though, other things like trust, commitment, understanding each other, giving room for open communication, respect , gratitude amongst others are also needed.
You can’t keep your man or get a man to love you by giving him full dose of sex, you must have defined your relationship before hand and then with good sex and other relationship ‘ingredients ‘ you should have yourself a good relationship.

But don’t forget that if a relationship is not defined, you may apply all of the relationship ‘ingredients’ and yet you find your self messed up. Don’t go dating a man that has not in clear terms asked you to be his girlfriend with the intention of keeping him with great sex and all cos it won’t work.

Wow! I have to go back to work now before I get a query from by boss lol.

As always, your comments are highly appreciated.

Compliment of the season to you all.

Ms. Emotions

8 comments:

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

Wow are u sure u are not a shrink? well u have said it all. i esp love the sex cant hold a relationship. its so true and its a common mistake people make.

Flourishing Florida said...

Hmmm. I think I've just abt made all the mistakes they r to make n relationship as regards sex. I've given it too soon. I've refused to give it. I've given it too many times. I've not given it enof. I've tried to use it to keep a guy. I've used it 2 judge d value of d relationship. u name it, I've done it all. I don tire!!! I no do again. I've taken a oath of celibacy - & i did it 4 myself. Enof of these trial & error of wot works & wot doesn't. My philosophy now is, even n a relationship, take care of myself first & foremost, then i can b a whole person to take care of another person.

Nice one though. & thanks 4 dropping by. wonder y u think i was weird??? Gal, believe many more women have lesbian tendencies dan they care to admit!!!!

Bubbles said...

I totally agree with u. Sex and love making are two different things, and like u said, the guy or the couple has to define explicitly what kind of relationship it is, so no one is misled. I know pple who have been with someone for a while then the guy pull the "i never asked u to be my girlfriend" card.

Also, u made an excellent point when u said sex alone cannot make a relationship work.

desperate lady said...

Wow I feel like you wrote this post for me in particular. That's why I haven't had sex, I need to understand the definition of that word before I indulge myself in it.
Lovely post but I gotta disagree somewhere, whether your active or icecold in bed, men will still look elsewhere so it really doesn't matter which 1 u are. "Only real men can resist temptation" by James Tubman.

diary of a G said...

the problem with relationships is, too many people do it for their own
reasons.
some pple care less dat it should
be a courtship that possibly lead to marriage
instead we use our bodies as means
for momentary pleasure, soiling our flesh until we begin to seek something more desirable,

Lets face it, People's got choices
when it comes to relationships

we live in a world where we enertainment that sort of idea,
maybe a little too much
maybe a little too much
lol
like you said great relationship takes time to build

sex is the boom tho

@ D lady
I love that qoute by J.T

KimPossible said...

I agree with you 100%. I have been married for 9 years. And I "make love" to my husband, which is different from having sex with some of my previous boyfriends before I got married. I think making love represents an deep, cultivated intimacy that you share with that person. Making love is a connection you have while doing the act. Having sex is just that. It's a bit empty and non-fulfilling when it is all said and done. It was good, but it doesn't sustain you. But, when you have taken the time to invest in a relationship and you and the other party are on the same page spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically, that makes for some good love making.

KimPossible

Jinta said...

'SEX: this is the act of love making between two people that are in love or feels something other than lust for each other'

Hmm. What do people in lust do?

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Ah, madam, I don read ya tutorial finish. A very nice read. I hope that people can take something positive from it. I know I did...